Ask for Directions

Walking around our house, it's as if Amber's roll of green painter's tape has exploded, spraying bits of small green shrapnel on every wall. The once clean tan walls, which were brand new and freshly painted only three and a half short years ago, are now covered with ripped pieces of green tape, like a child's skin covered in chicken pox. Every piece of green tape marks every blemish on our walls, and each has a story: JB throwing a ball inside the house (despite numerous reminders not to), Mallory "placing" the hamster cage in its usual resting spot in her room...against the wall, Linley dragging her small hands beside her, as she walks down the stairs, still needing some aid with her balance while navigating her way from the second floor to the first.

Admittedly, Amber is the most familiar with our house. She's the one responsible for making simple brick, mortar, and drywall a "home" for our family. I know the causes of the wall damage only by the random chance of catching the kids in the act, but my wife has navigated every corner of this place. Her love and concern is evident in every square foot. The toy replaced in the toy bin for the 100th time, the shoes placed back into the kid's basket on the stairs, clean laundry folded neatly in the kid's bedroom floor. Hence the reason she is in charge of the green painter's tape.

I recently broke down and admitted we needed a professional painter to come in and paint our walls again. Shortly thereafter, Amber began the process of marking the spots on our walls, giving the painter directions on exactly how to accomplish the task at hand. 

At work, my assistant marks every new account packet, like my middle school teachers marked up my english papers, she draws my focus directly to what needs my attention. I openly admit to clients and prospects that my assistant is "the brains of our operation." She knows what needs to be done, and she helps us accomplish the task at hand. She knows from experience what will happen if she sends me out to a meeting if she hasn't marked the packet with "sign here" notices. I'll forget something. I'll screw something up. 

No-one would argue that doctors are often the best and brightest among us. Despite that agreed upon fact, and depending upon what source you consult, the statistics on doctor's surgical errors are staggering. We assume that when we enter the operating room, that the appropriate body part is being operated on. However, surgeons often rely upon "markings" on the body to determine where to start an incision. Even the best and the brightest among us need direction. 

Whether a painter, an attorney working at a bank, or a brilliant surgeon, we all make mistakes, we all need guidance. Who better to call upon than God? As the maker of Heaven and Earth, He is uniquely qualified to give instruction and guidance. I am a huge Elvis fan and one of my favorites songs, is a gospel number about God's guidance, where Elvis pleads through the lyrics, "Lead me, Guide me." 



Men hate asking for directions, or so the stereotype goes. Asking for directions is admitting weakness. When we refuse to seek God's guidance on life's journey, we suppose we know the path. Our stubbornness proudly boasts that we are aware of the destination. Looking back on my life however, I've wondered down unfamiliar and unplanned paths, but God has always led me, God has guided me without exception, even when it didn't feel like it. There have been times in my life when I've begged and pleaded with God, "Just speak to me!" "Give me the answer!" "Provide some direction!"

Like Amber and my assistant, have carefully marked the way, God was ready to lead me and guide me, but I wasn't listening, I wasn't seeing. When I cried out, "Talk to me!" "Show me!" God lovingly whispered, "Listen, and see." It's taken many years for my eyes to come into focus, for my ears to clearly hear His voice. 

If you are struggling with something as you read this, go to Him. He will lead you, he will guide you. Open your eyes, your ears, humble yourself, and seek instruction and guidance. He loves you so very much. If you are lost, just ask for directions. 

Much Love, Adam


Lead Me, Guide Me


Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
John 10:27, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." 
Proverbs 3:6, "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." 
Psalm 32:8, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye upon you." 
Psalm 37:23, "The steps of a man are established by the Lord, and he delights in his way." 
Psalm 23:3, "He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
Psalm 27:11, "Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies." 
Psalm 25:4, "Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths." 
John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." 
Luke 1:79, "To give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." 


Comments

  1. They are just getting better and better.. Honestly Adam.. please compile these into a book when it's time..I will buy the first run of first editions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher