Be Bold, Be Brave, Be Strong, and Be Courageous

"Though she be but little, she is fierce." -William Shakespeare (A Midsummer Night's Dream). I've yet to find a quote that fits my soon to be 7 year old daughter, Mallory Moore, any better than that. Amber and I cling to the hope that this bold, brave, strong, and courageous little girl will use her oversized personality, that admittedly drives us bananas now, for big and amazing things when she is older.

It's tough being a parent. The stakes are high. We don't want to screw it up. Our firstborn, JB, despite a health scare at birth, and an outright refusal to sleep through the night for his first year of life, was/is a pretty compliant and obedient kind of kid. He wants to please others and he doesn't like being in trouble. He lives for praise and approval, that's what drives him. He no doubt inherited those qualities from his dad. Mallory on the other hand...could care less what others think. She doesn't need your approval, thank you very much.

She blazes her own trail and she does so without restraint or hesitation. While other little girls are taking classical dance classes, Mallory has fallen head over heels in love with Irish dancing. We took her to a Scots-Irish festival a few years ago, and she was hooked immediately. When she showed up to her first Irish dancing class, she knew no one, but she stayed. She knew zero steps, but she participated. Other girls looked hesitant and fearful in class, but Mallory skipped around the dance studio with her big beautiful hallmark smile.

At school she sports unicorn shirts and bright colors. Amber and I received a text from Mallory's teacher a few weeks ago that Mallory told a classmate, "you know God's not dead, right?" How bold is that? How Brave? When is the last time you've felt the urge, the nudge to do something kind for someone or speak love to them? More accurately stated, when is the last time you actually acted on that inclination? How many times have you driven by a homeless person for example and looked ahead at the road when eye contact was made? You clutched the steering wheel, too afraid to engage. Something tells me Mallory will pull over. How many times have you felt led to pick up the phone and call a friend that's hurting or have lunch with a friend that needs to hear a good blend of grace and truth. Something tells me Mallory won't hesitate to dial the number or set a time for lunch. 

There are countless things that drive Amber and me up the wall because Mallory is so head strong. I'm not sure why, but Mallory can't stand to wear clothes when she sleeps. At first it was odd, now it's just frustrating. It doesn't matter if I speak sternly to her or plead with her at bed time to "please keep her pajamas on," there will always be a pile of barely worn clothes next to her bed in the morning. She doesn't want to wear them, so darn it...she's not wearing them. 

I've picked out a song for each of my kids that I've sang to them or played for them throughout their lives. Mallory's song is "My Girl" by the Temptations. She's definitely my girl, but not in the sense that she belongs to me. She's my daughter and I'm proud and blessed to share my home, my life, and for the time being, the same last name with her, but her spirit is as free as the wild horses she talks about all the time and watches on YouTube. If it doesn't cause me to file for bankruptcy, perhaps one day I'll get around to buying her a horse she can call her own. 



Have you ever met a kid that questions EVERYTHING? That's Mallory and then some. "Because I said so," is never sufficient for her. Her inquisitive nature and strong spirit will serve her well in life, if it doesn't kill us or drive us mad in the meantime. 

I had a 30 years head start on Mallory but in many ways I look up to her and admire her wonderfully fierce nature. I sincerely feel she's more mature spiritually and emotionally than most adults. She's really amazing. She no doubt inherited those qualities from her mom. Also, her sense of humor is beyond her years and she's wicked smart. 

The bible is filled with directions to be exactly what Mallory is. She doesn't overthink things, she follows her heart. She doesn't doubt an order sent from her heart to her head, even if it means saving a bite of desert or a favorite dinner item to share with a sibling, and for Mallory, like me, that's a big deal. So, let's be like my amazing daughter, Mallory, let's be bold, be brave, be strong, and be courageous.*

Much Love, Adam

*BOLD, BRAVE, STRONG, COURAGEOUS
"The wicked flee when no one is pursuing them, but the righteous are as bold as a lion." Proverbs 28:1

"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

"Remain alert. Keep standing firm in your faith. Keep on being courageous and strong." 1 Corinthians 16:13

"I've commanded you, haven't I? Be strong and courageous. Don't be fearful or discouraged, because the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

"The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

"Wait on the Lord. Be courageous, and he will strengthen your heart. Wait on the Lord!" Psalm 27:14

"On the day I called, You answered me; You made me bold with strength in my soul." Psalm 138:3

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power." 2 Timothy 1:7

"For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher