Thank God for Mothers


She was barely 20 years old when she left the hospital with her newborn son. The December car ride home was no doubt cold and terrifying for the first time mother. Things certainly wouldn't be easy. Married to a head football coach often felt like being a single mother. Practicing the role of single parent would eventually pay off because when her son was only two years old, she and her husband made the title of "single mother" official. She would joke with her adult son many years later about "how they raised each other." Money was tight and things weren't always perfect. However, she never gave up...not on herself, and certainly not on her son.

She was 28 years old, lying in her hospital bed, when she learned that her newborn son had suffered a "pulmonary hemorrhage" during a period of observation in the nursery shortly after birth.  The elation of being a first time mother quickly faded, as the doctor explained that her son's condition in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit one floor below, was "very potentially fatal." She did everything right during pregnancy, for things to go so terribly wrong at birth. For the next week, she cried often and prayed much. She was recovering from surgery herself, while her tiny son fought for his own life. However, she never gave up...not on herself, and certainly not on her son. 

The first lady above, is my wonderful and amazing mother. The second lady above is the wonderful and amazing mother of my children. I can't even fathom where I would be today without my mother. Similarly, I can't imagine where my son (and our daughters) would be without my wife. I firmly believe that children are a gift from God. Most days it feels more like a prank, lost wager, or sick reality show at our house, but when bedtime eventually comes around each evening, and the kids are sleeping quietly and peacefully in their rooms, I give thanks to God that He has entrusted these amazing children to Amber and me. My sincere hope is that we raise our children in a manner pleasing to God. I'm sure God is a little more pleased with Amber's parental highlight reel than mine. I'm really Amber's oldest child.

Mothers are the unsung heroes in our lives. They accomplish much, but are recognized for little. Their impact is enormous and their selfishness is minuscule. Everyone's needs, and I do mean everyone's needs, are consistently and constantly placed before moms. I guess its only fitting then to see how little airtime Mary, mother of Jesus, actually gets in the bible. Mary is discussed to some extent, but not in depth, in each of the 4 gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John).

Just as my mother was chosen by God and tasked with the ridiculous job of keeping me alive and out of trouble, Mary was chosen and assigned the enormous responsibility of raising Jesus. Can you imagine? All sons think they are perfect, Jesus truly was. Jesus, the son of Mary, is not the son of Joseph, Mary's husband. Jesus is the son of God. Mary was a virgin. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit. This is the meaning of a "triune God," God the Father, Jesus the Son, and The Holy Spirit. The Old Testament prophecy foretold the birth of a Savior to a virgin, "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Isaiah 7:14

Mary was chosen by God intentionally and specifically, just as mother's reading this blog were chosen intentionally and specifically for their children. So, what can we gather from the limited words describing Mary? We know she was trusting. We know she was obedient. We know she was humble. We know she was capable. I could say the same for my mother and my wife.

When Mary, remember who is a virgin, was first told by the Angel Gabriel, that she was pregnant, I can imagine the news was...how should we say, "shocking?" In Luke we read about the initial interaction of Mary and the Angel, "The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."" Luke 1:28

Being pregnant with a child not belonging to her husband could have resulted in her abandonment or even worse, her death by stoning. However, Mary never gave up...not on herself, and certainly not on her son. In Luke 1:38, after Mary overcomes her shock she immediately responds to the Angel, ""I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered, "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her." Mary was trusting, obedient, humble, and capable.

As limited as details of Mary are, descriptions of Jesus' adolescent life is even skinnier. I do love the story in Luke 2:46-49 though, "After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions; and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously." And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" Mary lost her son...for three days. I got separated from my mom once for about 15 minutes at Dollywood, which was scary for a short person in a big crowd. There was also that time my mom forgot to pick me up in third grade from school, not remembering Wednesdays were short days and school let out about 2 hours early. Three days though!?! Holy cow! "Looking for you anxiously" was probably a bit understated by the good doctor and author, Luke.

The above verse was further proof that Jesus wasn't just another young boy, He was so much more. There is also the cool story involving an adult Jesus and his mother at a wedding. Apparently some booze hounds drank too much too quickly and the sauce ran out. Mary approached Jesus and He eventually turned water into wine for everyone. As a side note, I bet that was some pretty tasty wine. Mary had a front row seat to a miracle performed by her son, how amazing must that have been?

Mary also unfortunately had a front row seat to her son's crucifixion as well. No parent should have to bury a child. My heart breaks for Mary each time I read about the scene at the cross. My paternal grandmother buried two sons before she passed away 9 years ago. I can't comprehend the grief. What an amazing woman Mary was. What an amazing life she led. What an amazing job she did raising her son, our Savior.

The bible instructs us to honor our father and mother. Jesus did that. In Luke 2:51 we learn that after being found in "His Father's house, Jesus went with Joseph and Mary to Nazareth and He was obedient to them." So this year on Mother's day, let's honor our mothers, let's remember Mary, and let's take some time to Thank God for Mothers.

Much Love, Adam

My wonderful and amazing mother
The wonderful and amazing mother of my children

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher