The One who calms the storm

                                               Image result for images of storm at sea

There are few things in life more frustrating than trying to use a leaf blower in heavy winds. Filing taxes, trying to put a diaper on a toddler, and bathing a puppy are a pain, but all a distant second to using a leaf blower in heavy winds. This past weekend it was nice outside and Amber decided to plant flowers in front of our house. Knowing I would only get in the way of her well planned project and not stupid enough to be found on the couch watching baseball should she come in for a water break, I decided to clean up and blow out the garage. 

While the kids play outside most afternoons, we often leave the garage door open, which allows grass clippings, leaves, debris, and the occasional bird and neighborhood kids to wonder in. Over time the garage becomes a mess. So, I pulled down the blower off it's designated hook on the garage wall, and I unrolled the hundreds of feet of tangled orange mess that is my extension cord, and went to work. As I started working, the garage shielded most of the wind initially, creating a false sense of security, but as soon as I blew my pile of collective dirt to the opening of the garage door, I noticed the pile blowing around like crazy. Grrr. I probably battled the pile for a good 4-5 minutes trying to overpower the wind with the $40 electric blower I bought at Lowe's about 8 years ago. I'm sure the neighbors lucky enough to get a glimpse of me, got a kick out of me running around in a circle like a dad fresh off of a dizzy bat turn at a kids birthday party.

Finally something occurred to me as I looked at the limbs of a nearby tree...instead of forcing the dirt against the wind, why don't I just blow it with the wind? There is a novel idea. The next thing you know, I had the entire driveway cleared off. It wasn't blown into the grass exactly where I would have liked or where I planned, but the driveway was clean and my job was done.

How many times in my life have I made plans for my future and things didn't turn out as I envisioned? I battled, I struggled, and I planned diligently trying desperately to get where I wanted, to get what I wanted. At certain times, I was frustrated with life and dare I say...angry at God.  I wanted something good and positive for my life, that I had planned, and the heavy winds of life tossed me around like the debris in my driveway. Only on the rare occasion when I stopped pushing against God's will for my life, did I effortless receive and realize the blessing He had planned for me all along. I no doubt look more foolish to my Father at certain times during my life, than I did to my neighbors running around tangled in an electrical cord blowing dirt and debris onto myself and into my eyes.

In Jeremiah 29:11, we are reassured of God's perfect plan for our lives, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." When we read that and believe that, it saves us heartache and fruitless effort. When we turn our lives and our plans over to God, we are relieved of the unnecessary and unnatural role of "planner," and take on the much more comfortable and appropriate title of "trusting follower."

We can't control the winds and we shouldn't try to control our lives. Instead we can trust and follow the One who calms the storm.*


Much Love, Adam.

*Jesus Calms the Storm
Matthew 8:23-27
"Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us!" We're going to drown!" He replied, You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"
Mark 4:35-41
"That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious small came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be Still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"
Luke 8:22-25
"One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being stamped, and they were in great danger. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher