Follow The Instructions


Image result for instruction manual image



Instructions are far easier to read than to follow. After a few Christmas holidays with three young children, I'll confidently state most children's toys take at least 1 hour, 8 batteries, and 6 bad words to assemble completely. Most of the time I stare at the small instruction booklets just praying the words somehow jump from the page and into my brain. I don't care if it is a kids bike or an air hockey table, what I put together never looks like the box, and there are always extra "pieces" left over. "What are these bolts and washers?" Amber asks, while picking up a small plastic bag from the floor beside the wobbling bike I "built." "They give you extras sometimes in case you need them later," I fibbed in shameful defeat. That scene has played out more than a few times in the past.

Some people are good at building things with their hands. My granddad was that way, so is my father in law. They can look at a project and know exactly what needs to be done. Then there are folks like me. I'm lucky to build a sandwich without it falling apart. Case in point, I broke my already broken dishwasher less than a week ago. It wouldn't drain for some reason, but to my credit I got the water to drain from the bottom of the pan...and onto the hardwood floors. Despite reading the GE Dishwasher instruction manual, I goofed it up.

I recently read the "Sermon on the Mount," which is described in Matthew Chapters 5, 6, and 7. It is the longest continuous speaking of Jesus in the Bible. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus preaches to a crowd on a hillside in Capernaum. At first glance, Jesus' teachings seem contradictory, as he says we should rejoice while being persecuted. How can we possibly rejoice at persecution? Answer: Our faith is strengthened and we realize our dependence on Jesus in the process. He tells the crowd to be the "salt and light" of the world. Jesus instructs Christians to be a light in a dark world and enhance the life of others around them. I can easily read Jesus' written instructions in this gospel lesson, but following those instructions proves more difficult day in and day out. Most days I'm too worried about myself, my own well being, my feelings, my selfish interests. I goof it up.

Jesus instructs that not only should we not murder one another (pretty good rule) as stated in the Old Testament, we shouldn't have anger or hate of any sort in our hearts. We cannot hate others and love God simultaneously. We have to forgive. We can't engage in a loving embrace with others, if our arms are full holding grudges. I goof it up. Jesus tells us to keep our vows, our promises. When we give someone our word and our promise, we must keep that promise and do what we say we will do, or not do, as the case may be. Jesus instructs us not to retaliate. Jesus tells us to love not only our friends, but our enemies as well. I goof it up.

Jesus instructs us to give to the needy but not to do so for public spectacle or praise. Jesus tells us to pray, but not to pray in public only for recognition and attention. Jesus instructs us not to have a love of money. He warns that "No-One can serve two masters." In other words, when we love money, we can't love God. Jesus instructs us not to worry. When we worry we don't trust God. I goof it up. Jesus tells us to "ask, seek, and knock." We serve a loving Father who wants to provide knowledge, wisdom, patience, love and understanding, but we have to ask and we have to follow the instructions.

Jesus finishes his "sermon" by comparing a house built on rock to a house built on sand. Our house (our lives) must have rock solid foundation of Jesus and his instructions. If our walk matches our talk, despite the "small gate and narrow road" to Heaven, we will make our way there. Our houses will withstand the storms of life. However, if our house is build on the things Jesus instructs against, on sand, we won't make it, the storms will wash us away. Jesus has given us the manual on how to build our "houses." We know the reward. We know the risk. I can't fathom standing in front of my Heavenly Father and hearing the words, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoer." (Matthew 7:23) Yikes. Although it is far easier to read instructions than to follow, we have to follow the instructions.


Much Love, Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher