Good News

Image result for image of a newspaper good news


Three months. That's how long you have to wait to learn whether or not you passed the Tennessee Bar Exam. At least that was the case 12 years ago. It was the end of July and it was hot. I had been preparing for the bar exam for years, studying for it exclusively for months. Leaving the classroom on the second and final day of the exam, I stopped and turned back to ask the proctor at the door, when the results would be posted online. The proctor flipped through a packet of papers, then smirked and looked up at me, "October 13th. That's a Friday. So, Friday the 13th of October, you'll find out. Good luck." True story. I was nearly ill in the hallway of the University of Tennessee Law School. Of course it's Friday the 13th, why not? I was certain I had failed and that little exchange was proof I was in fact doomed. 

Some people deny miracles happen, but on Friday the 13th of October, 2006, I learned that I passed the Tennessee Bar Exam. Needless to say, seeing my name on the Bar Examiner's website was good news. We all love to receive good news, don't we? Maybe it's something as simple as learning you saved $4 on lunch because your loyalty points at your favorite restaurant had accumulated. Maybe it's something as significant as a call from your doctor with the good news of a clean bill of health. We know tragedies and troubles are inevitable in our lives, Jesus Himself told us that, all the more reason why we love good news from time to time.

Perhaps you received a surprise phone call about your child's aptitude or good behavior in school. Maybe you received an unexpected promotion or bonus at work. Bring on the good news, am I right? Can you recall a situation where you were the first to hear some bit of good news and you couldn't wait to tell someone else? It's like you're carrying a lit firecracker that could explode at any moment and you have to get rid of it. If you ever doubt how difficult it is for someone to withhold good news, tell a child what gift you bought another person, and watch their little face contort trying to keep the words from being blurted out when they see the person.

I've read the book of Romans a few times, but something about the most recent reading, really grabbed my attention and is at the heart of what I've said above. "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" -Romans 10:15 (in part)

So here is my question to myself and to you, why do we hesitate to share the good news of Jesus with others? Why in the world, has this become so taboo in our society?!? God loved us so much that He didn't want our brokenness and our sin to keep us apart from Him. He instead sent His one and only Son to take our place on the cross. What better news could we ever hear?

Perhaps you've heard reference to the "great commission." It's Jesus' final words to His disciples telling them, almost begging them, to continue the ministry and "make disciples of all nations." He knew others needed to hear the good news, so He asked His disciples to share the message of forgiveness, hope, and love with everyone. They were like the Pony Express carrying the most precious letter of good news ever penned.

You've got a firecracker in your hand. You're a small child who just learned about a gift for another person. So...what are you going to do now? I'm going to share the good news.

Much Love, Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher