Make His Day


Tomorrow is Father's Day. A day that we recognize and remember Fathers. If you are fortunate enough to be able to spend some time with your father, do it, it'll make his day.

When you type "Father" into the Miriam-Webster online dictionary, the results read: "A man who has begotten a child." By that definition, a man becomes a Father simply by having a child. It seems woefully insufficient a definition, for such an important title. "Fathers" are more than baby makers. Certainly there are "fathers" who haven't had a child, and certainly there are men who have a child, who aren't "fathers."

Take the man and his wife who desperately want a child of their own, but are unable. Countless nights of tears and prayers lead them to adopt a child. Bringing the child into their home, they provide more than housing, they give the child hope, love, and a life. That man is a "father." Then there are the grandparents who watch in pain and disbelief as their daughter expedites her earthly exit, by abusing drugs. She's come to love the needle more than her child. The grandfather steps up and raises his grandchild. That man is a "father."

You have to earn the title of "Father," it can't be gifted to a man freely. I've been called a lot of things in my life, some good, some I shouldn't type in this space, but hands down the greatest title I've ever worked to earn, is "Father." The benefits of fatherhood are great, but so are the responsibilities. I didn't know for example I would have to share my food with my kids. I love food. I don't like sharing.

Being a "father" means doing so in action, not in words. Words are hollow and meaningless, action is tangible and real. Any dead beat can make a child, and years later and miles apart, send a birthday card with the lie of  "I love you" scribbled inside.  A real man, a real "father," places the candles on the birthday cake himself, evidencing the genuineness of his "I love you." Fathers have to show love, it has to be felt, not heard. Take the verse from 2 Corinthians 3:2-3, "You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts."

As Amber's oldest child, I'm silly, I'm annoying, I'm not even remotely close to being a perfect father, but I'm present. I don't always get it right, but I try. I fail and fail again, but I don't give up...Not on my kids, not on myself. I'm their Father. They need me and I need them. We are a family. God's will brought us together, and our love for each other will assure we stay that way. God separated Himself from His son, so that we could be together forever with Him. He showed us His love.

Looking back to the definition  of "Father" I shared above from the Miriam-Webster online dictionary, the very next line following "A man who has begotten a child," is "God: The first person of the trinity." How cool is that? God is our Heavenly Father after all. He is the first and greatest Father any of us have.

Take a look at Luke 15:11-32 which is the "Parable of the Lost Son." The story tells of a man whose son demanded his share of his father's estate, the son then took the money given to him and he left. We read that the son "squandered his wealth in wild living." (To some of you reading, perhaps that sounds a lot like college) Only when there is a "severe famine in the country," does the son return to his father. He feels unworthy and ashamed, but he returns. To his surprise, and to the surprise of his brother (that never left their father), we read that the father is overjoyed at his son's return, and throws a celebration.

Have you been away from our Father for too long? In the past I have. Have you been engaged in things that have left you feeling unworthy and ashamed? In the past I have. Don't do what I did, don't do what the son in Luke did, don't wait...just return to your Father. He loves you so very much. Welcome the joy and celebration of that awesome reunion. Tomorrow is Father's Day. Let's recognize and remember our Father, let's spend time with Him, it'll make his day.

Much Love, Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher