The CEO

Image result for CEO name plate on desk image
Jesus, Chief Executive Officer. Wouldn't that look strange on a desk top name plate, business card, or LinkedIn page? During a recent bible study, our group covered a section on money and finances. The curriculum encouraged us to think of Jesus as "CEO," with us serving in the role as "Manager." The exercise seemed silly and cliché at first, but giving it deeper thought and headspace, I think they were on to something. When we look at Jesus through this unusual, corporate lens, we are forced to switch our mindset from our money, our finances, and our success, to the money that God has entrusted to us and the success He has blessed us with.

Take the following conversational comparisons I've created. Which sounds more familiar to you? I personally refuse to answer on the advice of counsel...and for purposes of pride preservation.

1.) Man, I'm killing it at the office. I can't wait until January when I get my big bonus. I worked my butt off last year, doubling my annual goal. No doubt I'll be in the Top Performers Club. Hard work pays off, I guess. I've had my eye on that new suit and I'm going to buy myself that four door Jeep I've been thinking about non-stop.

2.) Man, God is so good and faithful. HE never fails me, even when I fail Him. HE has once again provided. The company bonus pays out in January. With God's goodness, along with great leadership and great partners at work, our company had a record year. Teamwork pays off, I guess. I've been reviewing my tithe and offering at church, and thinking non-stop about how I can pay forward God's abundant blessings to others in need.

Yikes, right? I'm ashamed to admit I've been guilty of conversation #1 far too often in my life. Truth be told, I often treat Jesus as the summer intern, rather than the CEO. He is the humble guy following me from my office, to the copy room, to the break room. He always wants to help. He always wants to talk. I step up my pace in the hallway trying to lose him. Why the heck is He always so positive, so chipper? Plus, He carries that book with him everywhere He goes. No, I don't want to read your book or hear your ideas! I've got important work to do. If I want that bonus in January, I've got to work hard. Just stay out of my way!

If I shift that mindset to Jesus as the CEO, I'd no doubt find him waiting with a loving smile as I walk into his office. His door is always open. He always makes time for me. He puts the needs of the team ahead of his own. He's a "player coach" always putting himself in our shoes, even though He doesn't have to. He gives up his time, his life really for the rest of us. I know I'm not doing a perfect job, but He gives me praise and positive feedback anyway. He forgives my shortcoming and mistakes. He believes in me. He geniunely cares about my family. He always takes the time to hear my concerns and He offers suggestions and advice on how to do my job more effectively. I'm grateful for Him and I will work hard to further his plans for the future.

People would never abuse or neglect their kids, IF they truly believed that children are a gift from God. If they felt in their heart that their children were God's children, and simply entrusted to them to raise, care for, and love, they would never/could never hurt or neglect them. Similarly, people would never abuse or selfishly misuse money, IF they truly believed the "folding green" they have, belongs to  God. If they felt in their heart that the money they had was simply entrusted to them, it would be used quite differently I'm sure. Here's the deal, God gives us blessings because of who He is, not because of what we've done. We can't earn his love, we can't buy our way into Heaven. Heaven isn't a prestigious nightclub or political campaign. Thank you God for that. Only in a broken world, like ours, does money mean anything. 

Scripture tells us God is the beginning and the end, the Alpha and Omega. He created the Heavens and the Earth. All we have, or all we will ever be, is because of and thanks to God. We should start giving Him the credit and respect He deserves. After all, He is The CEO.

Much Love, Adam


*Matthew 6:24: "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." 
Matthew 20:16: "So the last will be first, and the first will be last." 
1 Timothy 6:10: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 
Proverbs 23:4-5: "Do not wear yourself out to get rich; do not trust your own cleverness. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle."
Proverbs 11:4: "Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death." 
Proverbs 21:26: "All day long he craves for more, but the righteous give without sparing." 
1 Philippians 4:19: "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher