Submit

When you have young kids, summer time is equal parts yelling "close the door!" and subsequently trying to round up flies inside the house when the kids inevitably don't, "close the door!" As I walked into the kitchen a couple of evenings ago, I could hear the familiar buzz of a fly behind the closed blinds of our kitchen window. 

As I lifted the blinds, I watched the fly frantically trying to escape through the glass. The fly would temporarily lift itself away from the window, then slam itself back into the glass. I'm sure the whole event was terribly confusing for the fly who could see the goal, but couldn’t quite attain it by itself. There was an invisible barrier unbeknownst to the fly clouding the fly’s perception of reality and the hard truth of the solid glass barrier.

I tried for a minute or so, with an open hand, to encourage the fly away from the glass and back out through the open door that awaited, but either I'm a terrible fly wrangler, or the fly didn't want to accept my help. More accurately stated, the fly was too dumb, too stubborn, or a combination of the both to accept my help. I finally gave up my efforts, and sadly I'm sure that particular fly found its fate at the bottom of the windowsill, like a few of his friends that preceded him. 

It's just a fly you say, yeah I know, you’re right. However, I caught myself growing increasingly frustrated with a silly fly that refused my help. I thought to myself, "What is wrong with you, fly? I'm trying to help you. Are you too good for my help? Fine! Keep bumping your head, you dummy." I gave up on the fly, because my patience was shorter than the flies resolve.

Admittedly, we don’t have a great deal in common with the run of the mill house fly, but as the scene described above played out, I can certainly see similarities to my life. I have a plan in mind, a path that appears clear that I want to walk down. I’m thinking of a job that didn’t work out. I’m recalling a move that didn’t happen. I'm remembering hundreds of events that didn't go the way I thought they would or should. Despite the lack of any architectural training or drafting skills in real life, you should see the rolled up blue prints in my mind. I’ve spent so much of my life planning for the future that I’ve sadly neglected the present too often.

I’m the proverbial fly bouncing my head off the glass, too dumb and too stubborn to accept God’s help. Also, equally important is accepting God’s peace with the unknown future. I don’t know as God knows, and I can’t see as God sees, yet far too often I want to be in control. God knows the open door and he wants me to make my way through. He stands waiting and wanting to help, his hand extended lovingly.  

Unlike my response to the fly above, our Father never grows frustrated, He never gives up on us. We can continue running into invisible barriers and trying to go it alone, but it’s pointless. We will end up exhausted and hopeless, like the fly at the bottom of the windowsill. God’s patience is greater than our resolve. His will is more perfect than our plans.

“FOR I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR YOU,” DECLARES THE LORD, “PLANS TO PROSPER YOU AND NOT TO HARM YOU, PLANS TO GIVE YOU HOPE AND A FUTURE.” –Jeremiah 29:11

“SUBMIT TO GOD AND BE AT PEACE WITH HIM; IN THIS WAY PROSPERITY WILL COME TO YOU.” –Job 22:21

You’ve probably prayed the “Lord’s Prayer” many times in your life. As churchgoers, we recite the Lord's prayer in the Sanctuary. As athletes, we recite the Lord's prayer before ballgames. We repeat the words almost on auto pilot, not giving much thought to the content and significance of what we are asking. These instruction on how to pray, can be found in Matthew 6:9-10, but think about the part of the prayer buried in the middle, “YOUR WILL BE DONE.” You’ve prayed it, just like I have, but have you ever truly meant it with your whole heart?

To pray that God’s will be done, means you SUBMIT to God. You SUBMIT to God unambiguously, unequivocally, and without reservation or hesitation of any kind. You stop beating your head against the glass of life. You accept His open hand. You accept His peace. He has some amazing things in store for your life. Things you yourself can’t possibly plan or comprehend in this moment. So, love Him and trust Him. His job is too big for you. Your job is easy. All you have to do is SUBMIT.

Much Love, Adam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher