Swap Stories

Related image
Everyone has a story. Some people lack brevity and take more time to tell their story than others (Sorry, Dad. I still love you). Here's the deal, each person's story has been penned by the hand of God over the course of their entire life. Your story is uniquely and perfectly written for you through God's will. If your story is like mine, it has happy chapters, sad chapters, and at least a few chapters of "Oh boy, here goes this dummy again." Regardless of the skill of the story teller, it's important that others hear your story, and its important that you hear theirs.

In a small group recently, we discussed the following excuses people often give for why they don't share their story and their faith with others (paraphrased):

"The world is too big, nothing I do will change a thing."
"The pace of life is too quick, there's simply not enough time."
"We are too different, we are too far apart to relate to each other."
"My story isn't worth telling and I'm a terrible story teller anyway."

Do any of the above sound familiar to you? I've been guilty of using every single one of the excuses listed above at some point. Let's be honest, all of the above excuses are just that, excuses. They are words we throw out to justify why we aren't doing what we were called and created to do. I read somewhere yesterday, "Everything that happens, teaches." So, if there is in fact a lesson for us in everything that happens to us, we need to teach others and learn from others as well.

The Painter:
I hired a guy to come do some painting at my house recently. He's painted at my house before, I know him...sort of. I know him in the sense of, I open the door when he shows up because I recognize him. I know his name, so I can write him a check when his work is done. Here is what I realized the last time he came over, I don't know really know him, and I don't know his story.

When he finished his latest round of work, it was evening time, but it was still hot outside. I offered him something to drink. As I looked through the refrigerator, I called out to him the somewhat limited inventory, that the kids hadn't already consumed, "We've got water, orange juice, diet coke, or beer." To which he responded, "No way! I don't drink alcohol. I'll just have a water."

Something about the way he refused the beer caused me to press in, "You don't drink today, or don't drink ever?" To which he responded, "I don't drink anymore." He went on to tell me how his father owned land in Honduras where coffee beans were grown. His father slowly succumbed to alcoholism and he lost everything. He lost his land, his business, ultimately his family and his life. He explained that he was on the same path a number of years ago, and he realized he didn't' want his children telling someone the same story he was telling me when they were his age. How powerful is that? We talked that afternoon longer than we've talked collectively since I've "known" him. I have thought about that conversation quite a bit recently, and I've included him in my morning prayers as well.

The Restaurant Worker:
I met my uncle recently for lunch at a local restaurant. My uncle, is a former Pastor, and he already understands what I'm slowly coming to know...we are meant to connect to each other and to get to "know" them...really know them. The restaurant worker was making burritos behind the glass counter, and I was so focused on what I was going to order that I didn't notice and certainly didn't inquire about the worker's whistling.

Like one of the 7 dwarfs, he was working and whistling quite happily. My uncle made the comment that he liked the song and asked about it. The restaurant worker went on to tell the story that it was his mom's favorite song and she passed away recently. He said when he whistles the song, it reminds him of his mom. How powerful is that? I go to that restaurant all the time, and see that guy all the time, but I've never got past, "Give me a chicken burrito with rice and black beans." I have thought about that conversation quite a bit recently, and I've included him in my morning prayers as well.

Vital Relationships:
I've been reading recently more about Jesus and his relationship to his disciples. Jesus told them exactly what I'm telling you now, go and connect with people, get to know them. I love this quote from a book I'm reading, "His (Jesus) method was to get the disciples into a vital experience with God, and to show them how he worked, before telling them they had to do it."

He showed them what a vital experience looked like, before expecting them to do the same with others. So, going forward, lets agree on the following things:

-We all need to have vital experiences with each other.
-The world isn't too big to connect with others. Real connections with others, getting to really "know them" can and will make a difference in our world.
-Life is busy, sure, but we make time for what we want to make time for, don't we? Spare even a few minutes to share your story or hear another's story sometime this week.
-You are more alike than you are different, swap stories and learn how similar you really are with another person.

You don't have to be brilliant, or a great story teller. Look at me, here I am slapping away on the keyboard week after week, and no-one has ever asked me to take their S.A.T. for them. Trust me when I say, if I can do it, you can as well. There is no prerequisite or qualification to swap stories and love others. The bible is riddled with people that God chose to share their stories and they were far less qualified, far more broken, for more "inadequate" than you are, trust me. So, connect with others this week, and swap stories.

Much Love, Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher