The Journey

Walking up to the front of the school, I took my place in the back of the long line leading inside for "meet the teacher night." Classes were scheduled to start bright and early the next morning, and this was a chance for parents and students to get acquainted with new teachers and new classrooms. It was a  meet and greet/dry run if you will. After a few short moments, the single file line that I was apart of, slowly marched its way inside.

As I entered the crowded lobby, I immediately noticed two large poster boards on easels. A closer look revealed the boards were diagrams of the roads and parking lots around the building, which depicted, in great detail, a new traffic pattern for student drop off. Few things can cause parental anxiety more than a change to the familiar traffic pattern of morning school drop off.

To the school administration's credit, the new pattern and logistics of drop off was an attempt to get kids inside the building in a safe and efficient manner. The pattern really hadn't changed too drastically, but I'm sure I'm not the only parent who left telling themselves not to screw things up in the morning. A misstep or turn the wrong direction, would no doubt embarrass the parent and the kids in the process. Personally I don't need any help looking stupid or finding unique ways to embarrass my kids. So, I studied the arrows and instructions on the boards, made mental notes for the morning, and I was on my way.

An hour or so later, when we all arrived back home, I received an email...another reminder from the school about the new traffic pattern. The message also included a youtube video with an actual recorded demonstration of the proper technique for morning drop off. Cue anxiety again.

The next morning things went off without a hitch, and the new routine was already feeling familiar. My kids made their way safely inside the school, I didn't turn into oncoming traffic or get scolded by school officials, and the overwhelming response from parents was positive and they seemed grateful for the proactive initiative to reduce wait times and increase student safety.

A couple of things have been pretty constant since the beginning of our existence on earth: 1.) We are a people on the move (on a journey) and 2.) We are fearful people who don't openly welcome change most of the time. The Old Testament and New Testament contains countless stories of people on the move. We learn about many people who were on a journey for many different reasons. Some sought a new life in a promised land. Some fled for fear of injury or death. Christ Himself as a young child journeyed to escape the murderous mandate of King Herod. Many journeyed to hear a message of love and hope. Many journeyed to be healed physically and spiritually.

One of my best friends in this world, who was also the best man at my wedding, wisely told me during his best man's speech 13 years ago, that "life is a journey, not a destination." He no doubt stole the saying from a brainy quote website, or a poster at target, hanging next to the poster of the kitten falling off the tree branch that reads "hang in there." But it's so true. Life is all about the journey. It's the people, the places, and the events, that God has so lovingly given us to shape our lives.


We are reminded throughout scripture not to fear, not to worry, to trust God, but we fear anyway. Daniel in the bible bravely survived a night in a lions den because of the trust he had in God. Meanwhile, I had lip sweat reading the poster boards in the lobby of my kids school about a new traffic pattern for morning student drop off.


As you wrap up this week at work, at home, at school, on vacation, or wherever this day has you, know that the fear you have is unfounded and irrational, know that God loves you and he's got you right where He wants you. The road and path ahead may be unfamiliar, perhaps there is a new traffic pattern causing you anxiety currently, but embrace God, and embrace the journey.

Much Love, Adam

Isaiah 30:21: "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." 
Psalm 23:4: "Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." 
Proverbs 22:6: "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher