The Project

Cars driving by started taking notice of the young man working on the abandoned house. The house had set broken, ugly, and abandoned in the neighborhood for as long as most could remember. Despite the steal of a price, even the enthusiastic young man would admit it was quite the project. For a younger man, the price point was attractive and it gave some room in the budget to make improvements. To everyone else that passed the house and took a snap assessment, this place was a dump, a dilapidated old house, not worthy of repair. To most it was void of any sort of beauty, wonder, or redeeming qualities.

One day, as the less than skilled young man was struggling through his chore of painting the outside of the house, a kind older gentleman walked up to the foot of the ladder. "Boy, this place is going to be beautiful." Not seeing the older man walk up, the younger man steadied himself on the ladder and looked down. "I think I've bit off more than I can chew here," the young man yelled down with a hint of defeat in his voice. "I know a few things about these kind of projects, and I'd be glad to help," the old man shouted up the ladder.

So, just like that the kind older gentleman became a project manager and mentor of sorts for the younger man. Some days they worked in the rain. Some days things didn't always go as planned. Some days the younger man wanted to give up on the project, and it felt like two steps forward and three steps back. But the confidence and kindness of the older gentleman motivated and encouraged him, and the work continued. Many mornings neighbors could hear hammering coming from the old house around sunrise. Many evenings neighbors could see the headlights from the young man's truck shine on the house at dusk.

It was no small undertaking, but finally, the project was complete. Just as the older man predicted, the house was beautiful. Truth be told, it was better than he could have ever imagined. It was perfect. What once was the greatest eye sore around, was now a crown jewel. No doubt largely thanks to the kind older gentleman. 

The above scenario is totally fiction, but one that found its way into my mind after reading one of my favorite verses in the bible again a few days ago. The young man is like me, like you too I'm sure. The house is like the young man's life journey and his spiritual development. The kind older gentleman is God. 

When others look at you and see an unworthy pile of person, Christ sees beauty. When others give up on you, Christ will never quit. When others are waiting for you to fall to the ground, Christ is ready to pick you up and make you strong again. 

We learn from Paul, that Christ has started a good work in us and He will see His work completed. If you are like me, some days feel like a losing proposition, but Christ won't let me fail, Christ won't fail me. He leaves nothing left undone, and He's doing something in me that I couldn't do alone. I'm still very much broken, still woefully deficient in countless ways, still glaringly lacking, but my contractor is the best in the business.

Other people and other things may promise to make you better, to make you happy, to bring you along life's journey, but there is only One who truly can. I have no doubt in my mind about the work Christ is doing and will continue to do in my life. Like me, you are imperfect, and you need the help. If you are ready to accept the help, Christ is willing to take on the project.


PHILLIPIANS 1:6
BEING CONFIDENT OF THIS, THAT HE WHO BEGAN A GOOD WORK IN YOU, WILL CARRY IT ON TO COMPLETION UNTIL THE DAY OF CHRIST JESUS

Much Love, Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher