You get what you get, and you don't pitch a fit

There is a saying in our family, "you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit." I doubt Amber coined the phrase originally, but she uses it the most, in our crazy Moore crew of 5. It's most often uttered in response to one of a million different kid grumblings about how their life is somehow unfair.

To be clear, what is "unfair" is living in desperate poverty on less than $1 a day. What is "unfair" is suffering at the hands of religious persecution in a country that won't allow you to worship the way you choose openly. What is "unfair" is living in constant fear because the region of the world in which you live, is constantly at war and in chaos. What my kids are forced to endure from the comfort of their suburban bubble is far from unfair. They are blessed beyond measure.

My initial frustration with them and their grumblings, inevitably ends in a frustration with myself. I have a duty to teach them, to guide them, to shape their understandings and perceptions of the world around them. I fear I've failed them. I haven't shown them sufficiently the sufferings of a world they've never had to experience. I get angry because my kids focus on the one thing they don't have, or the one thing that didn't go their way, but then... the hard to swallow realization becomes clearer...they've learned it from me.

I have a home, a job, a family, and good health. Somehow however, its not enough at times. My selfish mind wanders and fixates on the limited wants I'm lacking, rather than cherishing and giving thanks for all the needs that don't go unmet.

About two weekends ago, Amber took JB into Target to pick up a gift for a friend's birthday party. I gladly stayed in the car with the girls. They watched a movie in the van (An example of the tough life they gripe about) and I read. When JB and Amber got back in the car, Mallory immediately complained of the drink in JB's hand. She couldn't stand the idea that JB had something that she didn't. Her emotions immediately rushed to the unfairness of the perceived situation. What she couldn't focus on was the bag in JB's other hand, that carried a drink, purchased just for her.

How many times are we guilty of the same with God? We complain when we see others drinking in the joys and perceived successes of life, meanwhile our Father has provided all we need, and even holds a bag of additional blessings just for us. Our focus on and grumblings about what we lack, shows our Father, and the world, what our heart truly loves. It pinpoints our priorities.

"My neighbor has a new car." "My co-worker received another round of praise and promotion." "That family from our kids class are on another vacation." These are the selfish and sinful thoughts that dominate our thinking. "It's not fair!" we cry out.

God is the source of all of our gifts. He loves us and He gives us everything we need. So the next time you begin to grumble (as I often do) about what you are lacking and what is unfair in your life, refocus your mind on your blessings and your gifts, and on the One who is responsible for it all. In this life, "you get what you get, and you don't pitch a fit."

Much Love,
Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher