The Goal

A large smile crept across my face as I took my place in the oversized bucket seat in the front of the RV next to my grandpa. He was the king of the road and I was his right hand man. I had been patiently waiting for my turn for hundreds of miles. It was an unspoken rule that each grandkid would be given a chance to sit in the seat of honor at some point during the trip. Not only was the view better from the front of the RV, more importantly there was a great sense of pride and responsibility that went along with being the co-pilot as well. 

The primary objective as the co-pilot to Benny Mullins, was to keep him awake. He drank black coffee out of styrofoam cups, he chewed juicy fruit gum, and he opened the small hatch window to allow wind to blow into the cabin, all in an attempt to stay focused. Despite his best efforts, sometimes the road fatigue was too much and he'd nod off. That was always our cue to strike up a conversation or ask a question about the surroundings to redirect his attention to the road ahead. Grandpa's head would slowly droop down and his chin would slowly come to rest on his chest..."Grandpa! Look at that mountain range over there! I wonder what mountain that is?"

Secondary objectives to keeping grandpa awake, were to write in the trip journal and to carefully study the map. Writing entries in the journal was fun and it took creativity to describe what was happening on our trip. Truth be told, those scribbled pages ignited a desire in me to write, that obviously still burns today. It was the map though. The map made me feel grown up. The map made me feel needed. This of course was well before the era of GPS or any computer aid gadgets or satellite assistance. The map I'm referring to was the enormous Rand McNally maps that were in print form and updated annually. Flipping pages was like turning over a piece of poster board. 

"Where's the next rest stop?" grandpa would ask. "How many miles to Mobile, Adam?" We were like a regular Lewis and Clark in the front of that old Motor coach. We knew exactly where we were going and our eyes, unless closed of course, were fixed intently on arriving at our destination.

The above scenes rushed into my mind as I read the poem below during a bible study earlier this week. I had never read the poem before, and I hadn't thought about those summer trips in some time. As I read the lines, I was a kid again. My grandpa's co-pilot. His buddy. I was a journal writer. A map reader. Since his passing, I relish in a refreshed memory of time spent with my grandpa. 

The Winds of Fate
One ship drives east and another drives west
With the self-same winds that blow;
'Tis the set of sails
And not the gales
That tells them the way to go.
Like the winds of the sea are the winds of fate
As we voyage along through life;
'Tis the set of the soul
That decides its goal
And not the calm or the strife.
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Admittedly, I've never studied poetry and perhaps the words of the text above can be interpreted very different by different people. What I take away is the undeterred determination to reach a destination. The trips in that old RV were wonderful, but not without troubles. Life is like that isn't it? We had tires that blew out, we had overheated engines, we had one bathroom for more than a few cousins to use. 

However, despite any trials or tribulations, we were all focused on where we were going and having a good time during the journey. It causes me pause however when I think about my ultimate destination. My heart knows the promises of God and the price His Son paid on my behalf, but do I have my sails set on Him daily? Is my true goal to spend eternity with my Father, and am I focused on that goal despite any circumstances that may come my way? Despite the calm and strife, do I praise Him and seek Him, or am I guilty of blowing in the wind? 

Those of you reading this have been privileged to live in a part of the world where studying scripture and being exposed to the word of God is often taken for granted. Troubles of life will come. Storms and winds will blow. Will you allow yourself to be blown off course, or are your sails set on the goal ahead? 

I can't help thinking about 12 year old Adam, sitting next to his grandpa, his hero, in the front of that old RV. Map in lap, and focused on the road ahead. As a soon to be 38 year old man, the road of life is bumpy and it's littered with difficulties, but it leads me to a perfect place. A place where separation and sadness are no more. A place where my grandpa is waiting. My sails and my soul are set. That's where I want to go. That's the goal. 

Much Love, Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I once was lost, but now I’m found

My Favorite Floaties

The Love of a Teacher